Sunday, May 5, 2024

Virtual Tour of the Art and Decor of The White House: The Ground Floor

east wing of white house

[W]e went upstairs into another chamber, where were certain visitors, waiting for audiences. At sight of my conductor, a black in plain clothes and yellow slippers who was gliding noiselessly about and whispering messages in the ears of the more impatient, made a sign of recognition, and glided off to announce him. We had previously looked into another chamber fitted all round with a great bare wooden desk or counter [probably the Anteroom, today's Treaty Room], whereon lay piles of newspapers, to which sundry gentlemen were referring.

Palace of State: The Eisenhower Executive Office Building

The room is entered from the second floor corridor on the west side of the room. A large fanlight window on the east side of the room faces the Jacqueline Kennedy Garden, the East Colonnade, the East Wing, and the U.S. Two disguised doors allow access to a closet and a staircase up to the third floor. The first floor of the East Wing contains the lobby, which welcomes public visitors to the White House, the east Garden Room, the White House Family Theater, and the visitors entrance to the ground floor of the White House. The Truman china set is displayed on a table in the White House's China Room.

east wing of white house

Biden officials indefinitely postpone ban on menthol cigarettes amid election-year pushback

William Taft hired architect Nathan Wyeth to expand the executive wing in 1909, resulting in the formation of the Oval Office as the president’s work space. In 1913, the White House added another enduring feature with Ellen Wilson’s Rose Garden. A fire during the Hoover administration in 1929 destroyed the executive wing and led to more renovations, which continued after Franklin Roosevelt entered office. The East Wing was built in 1902 and since that time has been the entrance to the White House for visitors and guests. The building was enlarged in 1942 to its current size to provide office space. The sheet metal used in the White House roof gutters probably lasted until the British torched the place in 1814, but another typical type of failure before that pre- vented President James Madison from strolling or sitting on the deck as Jefferson had.

The China Room

In 1927 William Adams Delano of the New York firm of Delano and Aldrich was called upon for advice. After studying Hobans 1793 drawing, he increased the pitch of the roof and lowered the floor to accommodate new guest and service rooms beneath a steel and concrete roof structure. At Mrs. Coolidges request, a sunroom facing south toward the river, the predecessor of the current solarium was added. One of Theodore Roosevelts earliest acts as President was to issue an order establishing the "White House" as the buildings official name. Previously, it had been called the "Presidents House" or the "Executive Mansion." This decision portended more serious discussion regarding the status of the house. In 1902, Mrs. Roosevelt asked the distinguished architect Charles McKim for his advice.

The East Garden, also redesigned by Mellon, was later named in honor of Jacqueline Kennedy. First lady Michelle Obama added a 1,100-square-foot vegetable garden on the south grounds in 2009. The White House has undergone many renovations throughout its history, starting with Thomas Jefferson, who, along with architect Benjamin Henry Latrobe, added the East and West Colonnades, which now link the East and West Wings with the Executive Residence. The first major renovation of the White House took place during the War of 1812. On August 24, 1814, British troops marched on Washington, DC, and burned the White House, the Capitol, and several other public buildings.

Jill Biden reveals 2023 White House Christmas decorations - Yahoo Life

Jill Biden reveals 2023 White House Christmas decorations.

Posted: Tue, 28 Nov 2023 08:00:00 GMT [source]

Frequently Asked Questions about White House Tours (FAQ)

It has hosted longstanding traditions such as the annual Easter Egg Roll, as well as historic events like the 1987 nuclear arms treaty with Russia. The only private residence of a head of state open free of charge to the public, the White House reflects a nation’s history through the accumulated collections of its residing presidents, and serves as a worldwide symbol of the American republic. A final major overhaul took place after Harry Truman entered office in 1945.

Reservations cannot be accepted for tour dates outside this 21 – 90-day window. Self-guided tours of the White House give the public access to the ground floor of the East Wing of the White House, which includes the China Room, Vermeil Room, the Library, and the Map Room. One cosmetic upgrade Gustafson pointed out is the ability to swap out the different 2-foot-diameter seals that hang on the JFK room wall, depending on who is in the meeting. Seals for the president, vice president and executive staff are kept in a nearby closet and can be quickly subbed. The JFK room has a long wooden table with six leather chairs on each side and one at the head for the president. A 2-foot seal is positioned at the president’s end of the room, larger than the old seal.

The President's Neighborhood

Once you are approved (about 2-3 weeks before your requested dates), you will then have to fill out security forms with your social security number, birth date and other legal information to verify your identity. There is a due date for this information, so make sure you enter the information for everyone in your party, or your tour will be forfeit. Gustafson said visitors previously remarked that the room didn’t reflect Hollywood’s grand imagining of the space.

Latrobe wrote Madison in 1812 that the “platforms covering the gutters were rot- ten and must be replaced.”47 This message must have chagrined Madison, who had adopted one of Jefferson’s zigzag roof systems to create decks over the 1809 wings at his Montpelier. Whether they were replaced at the White House, or not, is hardly relevant because they would be burned in two years. When the wings were rebuilt by James Hoban in 1818, the roofs were copper. Whether Hoban constructed the roof structure with Jefferson’s joist system or simply constructed a low pitch rafter roof is unknown. Thomas Jefferson never resided in any house very long without altering it to suit his ever-developing taste for comfort and convenience. A "temporary office building" had been built in 1902 for the president and his staff, but Theodore Roosevelt continued to use an office in the residence as well.

Having transformed the building into a more suitable representation of a leader’s home, Jefferson held the first inaugural open house in 1805, and also opened its doors for public tours and receptions on New Year’s Day and the Fourth of July. The official home for the U.S. president was designed by Irish-born architect James Hoban in the 1790s. Rebuilt after a British attack in 1814, the “President’s House” evolved with the personal touches of its residents, and accommodated such technological changes as the installation of electricity. The building underwent major structural changes in the early 1900s under Teddy Roosevelt, who also officially established the “White House” moniker, and again under Harry Truman after WWII.

Latrobe complained about the president’s “calculations of his coal cellars” and that a few inches difference in size for the cellars, be they for “coals or dung,” did not matter. This reference seems to be linked to the one that immediately followed, referring to two spaces of 10 feet each. Jefferson apparently increased the size of the sec-ond room to 10 feet wide, a width that still worked with the exterior openings and made the adjacent necessary 10 feet wide. The Walter plan shows a much larger second room of about 20 feet wide, the combination of Jefferson’s two rooms, that in later plans is still labeled as wood and coal storage. Kimball’s book also depicted Monticello’s prototypical north and south colonnaded wings.

What he had been given as a starting point was a house of generous size with domestic services confined to the basement story and flanking government buildings about 500 feet to the east and west. The mostly barren shell vacated by John and Abigail Adams was a tabula rasa, as were the grounds around the house, facilitating the amateur architect’s fertile imagination to produce remodeling solutions to the former and initial plans for the latter. The use and function of Jefferson’s rebuilt wings changed over time as frequently as the building they supported. By the end of the 1820s the gardener, John Ousley, and his family were residents of the former fire- proof wing, while cows temporarily resided in the west wing along with servants. Andrew Jackson’s new remote stables near the southeast gate freed the old stable wing for service and as the residence of the vegetable garden- er, Charles Bizet, in the 1830s. In 1835 the old Treasury fireproof building was upgraded from toolshed to orangery by Andrew Jackson to house a salvaged sago palm from Mount vernon, among other things.

Almost all of the interior detail is of cast iron or plaster; the use of wood was minimized to ensure fire safety. Eight monumental curving staircases of granite with over 4,000 individually cast bronze balusters are capped by four skylight domes and two stained glass rotundas. Jefferson had created the terraces as a place to sit or stroll, enjoying the outdoors in good weather. While he undoubtedly used them for this purpose, the view was one of still open spaces retaining some naturalness in the far south vista.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tinting Home Windows Cost 2024 Guide

Table Of Content See what our customers say about us: Lounging bear becomes a regular behind Los Angeles … Los Angeles County student is sta...